Pages

Peru! Part 3- Machu Picchu!

Wednesday, October 3, 2012


Here it is, folks! Machu Picchu. Probably on most people's list of places to visit, and you should! It was definitely on mine, and I would love to go back someday! So cool, and so interesting. 


"Discovered" by Hiram Bingham in 1911, but some controversy regarding this. There were other people who knew about it, but didn't tell anyone, so did they discover it? Also Mr. Bingham didn't really think this site was all that important and only spent one day here initially. I think he went back afterward, but does that count? Well, according to this placard... 



The view from Machu Picchu, before sunrise. 


A view of the valley...


Our trekking family at Machu Picchu


Machu Picchu ruins...





Michael and I at Machu Picchu. This was very early, so I am still trying to wake up and comprehend the fact that we are at Machu Picchu!




More views of Machu Picchu! I really am trying to cut down on the photos, but there were so many cool things to document and remember. Plus, you are kind of peer pressured into it as all the other tourists are taking photos of everything, so you feel like you should too... And it is just so picturesque at every turn. Ooh, more views! Ooh, more Incan architecture! Ooh, llamas! 



Speaking of... Llamas! They really were cute, every time! 





Incan Architecture. Seriously, it was amazing. These photos in no way do it justice, but you knew that already, didn't you?!



The view. Again, stunning. Just felt the need to show it. Again.



The Temple of the Condor. How cool is that? Very. See the wings?!



The Temple of the Sun. Important to the Incas. Notice the very precise stone masonry? This was an important place! So important, we couldn't even go inside it and this was the best view we could get. Somehow this aligned with the mountains and the sunrise and other temples within the Incan empire. IT aligned with a temple at the top of this:




 See that mountain in the back there? Wayna Picchu. We were about to climb that...



Climbing. Oh, how steep and hard this was. Bloody Incas! But there were older people on the trail and so if they could do it, then I was certainly not about to be outdone!



 A view (again with the views!) from the top. Machu Picchu in the background. See how high we are! We climbed (Clumb? No, that sounds certainly wrong...) that!



Me at the top of Wayna Picchu!


I had a fascination with rocks while on this trip. This was a pretty one. Good texture. 








 The climb down. Also a challenge. 



A room with a view. Ha!




A last view from Machu Picchu. Adios Inca resort of kings!



Next up, Lake Titicaca!








10 comments :

  1. Wow, that is so beautiful! It is indeed on my list to visit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sarah, just saying hi from the BYW class. I'm going to Peru in december and after seeing your pics I'm so excited!
    x Jaclyn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Denise,
    you definitely should! It is so beautiful and interesting... No place like it! Unreal!

    Jaclyn,
    Hi! So exciting that you are going to Peru in December! You will love it i'm sure. Would love to hear where you're going and what you'll be up to!

    xo,
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sarah,

    I just came through here from BYW class, you have such a lovely blog! Then, I scrolled down and saw your post about Peru! Your trip looked amazing. My husband and I have recently been talking about doing a trip there, and I'm definitely more excited after seeing your post! :)

    Renae

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Renae!
    Thank you for stopping by my blog! Yes, Peru was so amazing. If you are considering it, I would say for sure do it! You won't be disappointed!

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  6. These photos are so lovely! Makes me want to travel there and explore!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fabulous photos!
    Machu Picchu is definitely on my bucket list!

    Looking forward to following your blog!

    Wishing you all the best,
    Mary (from BYW Bootcamp)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you Mary! It was on my bucket list as well! Now only oh, hundreds and hundreds more places to go... :)
    Thanks for following! I am loving BYW already- meeting so many lovely new friends!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, that looks like an amazing trip! Lovely photographs too. Best wishes, Jenni (from BYW)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow. For whatever reason, Peru was not on my must-travel list (currently mapped through 2016). I guess we have the 2016 candidate!

    My favorite line was "Llamas, cute every single time."

    ReplyDelete

I love feedback. Thanks for commenting!

Proudly designed by | mlekoshiPlayground |