Pages

Prop Styling Love!

Tuesday, October 9, 2012

{All photos via Sibella Court's Pinterest}

To those of you who read design blogs, follow stylists, peruse Anthropologie and enjoy those sorts of things, you are probably already well aware of (and in love with) Sibella Court. I’m sure I’ve mentioned her before, as she is a styling genius. Really, I don’t know how she does it!  And where does she keep all her amazing props and collections? My house would look like a crazy hoarder who keeps stacks and stacks of magazines in her closet. Oh wait...

 If you haven’t heard this interview by Grace over at Design Sponge, you should go give it a listen. I love these kinds of interviews! I’m always so curious as to how someone got their start, or what their creative process is. I am so inspired by her creativity and unique way of seeing the world and bringing her point of view to everything that she does. I wonder if it is talent plus fearlessness and confidence that gives her this ability, or if it is just pure talent? I wonder if I doubt my unique point of view too often for fear of being laughed at or ridiculed, or- horror of horrors- being thought of told I have BAD taste. Ugh. Perhaps this needs to be analyzed a bit more (maybe over analyzation is the problem?)... What were we talking about again? Oh right, styling...

I tried my hand at prop styling for a little while and was assisting a lovely stylist in SF, Rosy Strazzeri-Fridman.  It was a lot of work, but oh so fun. Isn’t her work gorgeous? So talented and so sweet! Also, her house (where a lot of her work is shot) is absolutely stunning! I was working full time and not living in the city, so alas, my dream of being a prop stylist kind of fell by the wayside. I am still fascinated by styling and would love to get back into it someday. Until then… 

And finally, the point of this post was this: Just ordered my copy of Bowerbird, and from the images I’ve seen on Pinterest, it looks like it definitely will not disappoint. Yay Sibella! Thank you for your seemingly unending amount of inspiration! 











11 comments :

  1. Oh Sarah, thanks for this post, I love Sibella, I have been following her for years and have all of her books, her work is just amazing.
    Her brother Chris's photography is just as amazing too, what a talented family!
    Would love to hear what you think of Bowerbird, I'm still yet to order mine.

    :) Renae

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see your stack of closet magazines and raise you boxes of to-be-arranged items in the basement. I do laundry, I eye the box, I flee the basement. There has got to be a better way to, uh, "organize" my possessions.

    The picture frames artfully arranged with pretty things is calling my name. My secret desire is to get those clear acrylic display boxes that go on your wall and attach them to every surface. A tiny statue in a box attached to the front door. Welcome home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been to her shop in Sydney, it kind of does look like a hoarder lives there! Every image she creates is so gorgeous, isn;t it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the comments!

    Renae,
    Yes, such a talented family! I am so in awe of them all. I will let you know how the book is once I receive it! I'm guessing it will be fab... :)

    Ish,
    Glad to know I'm not alone in my semi-hoarding tendencies!

    Kathryn,
    Oooh, you've been to The Society?! I would love to go to Australia, and when I do, it is definitely on my must see list. Is that strange? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sarah, I just love your style! And I had not heard of Sibella Court before this. I can't wait to see more design -inspired and styling posts from you.

    ~Becca from the (Bay Area!) BYW

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ashame of myself, I haven't heard of Sibella before. Her book looks great - thanks for sharing. Have a lovely weekend x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't heard of her either until now, and her work looks amazing! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, I'm visiting from the BYW class. I am so glad I found this. Sibella is coming to my neighborhood Anthropologie next week. I can't make it, but I have been encouraging friends to go. Nice to read your post.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have all her books and was following the launch event on Instagram-just amazing. I will order her book this weekend too and do so much looking forward to it. If there is a role model for me when it comes to publishing a styling book, that´s Sibella Court.
    Happy bootcamp, Sarah!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I appreciate the comments ladies!!

    Becca,
    Thank you! I definitely love the pretty world of styling and would love to do more of it myself. Hopefully this class will be my motivation!

    Geraldine and Jessica,
    So glad to introduce you to the work of Sibella Court! She is so creative, and I hope you enjoy exploring her style.

    Kalani,
    It would be so fun to go to a book signing! I wish there was going to be one in San Francisco... Hopefully, next time...

    Gudy,
    I agree, my role model for embracing your authentic style is Sibella Court. Her books are so lovely. Can't wait to get the next one!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi there Sarah:) I'm popping over from BYW. I sooo love Sibella Court too. Bowerbird is gorgeous and I love, love, love Nomad as well. She surely is a talent and did you know she was a judge on a really cool reality design TV show we had over here called HomeMade? Lovely to be visiting your blog and making new friends along the BYW course:)

    ReplyDelete

I love feedback. Thanks for commenting!

Proudly designed by | mlekoshiPlayground |