Pages

Bright Lights, Big City

Thursday, May 30, 2013


Hey! So, its been awhile, and although I know people don't care to talk about why I've been away and apologies and all that, but I've missed this little blog of mine! I'm not really a writer (I'll leave that to other talented sisters in the family!), but I do like to write and express myself, which I have missed. I really should start keeping a journal again. Anyway, about a week ago, Michael and I went to NYC for play and then a little work. Mostly though it was such a treat to be in the city and explore. I haven't been since I was about 15, so it's been a bit of an overdue destination for me.



I don't know where this was, but I loved the ceiling. There are so many great little hidden spots like this. Beauty, in even the mundane parts of the city. 


We did a lot of walking. A lot. And these little ballet flats were not the wisest choice... 



We enjoyed a lovely and peaceful stroll around Central Park in the rain. It was very wet but so beautiful and quiet. 


A bouquet in the lobby of the Met. Aka, The greatest museum in the US. We only saw a tiny fraction of it in one day. I can't wait to go back.


A little room of samplers done in the early days of the US were so sweet and well done.  


Then it was off to Egypt! And you know all the hullabaloo that is going on in the news about the Chinese boy who wrote his name on some ancient Egyptian wall? Well, as you can see above, its been going on for awhile... "Leonardo 1820" looks like he was giving a bad name to Italian tourists back in the early 19th century. Not something I condone, but it's funny to see!


The Egyptians had some great art and design going on. I am fascinated. I love Egyptian stuff, and NEED to go to Egypt someday. I also need to watch the Mummy again. A definite guilty pleasure movie of mine... Is it just me?

{Matisse}
Then it was off to the painting wings, and the museum was closing soon, so we only had the smallest taste of what the museum had to offer. We were practically running from room to room.

{el Anatsui} 
Very cool, and huge in real life! I wish we could have made it to the Brooklyn Museum to see more of his work.


I can't for the life of me remember this artist or find it online (letting down my Art History background here...), but I loved this. Simple, but so dynamic in person. I wanted to spend more time with it.


And a picture of a door! Because that is what I do. 


The cutest little street in Greenwich Village. 


And a blurry view from the Brooklyn Bridge. Looking at my photos, I realized I need to take more! And charge my iphone more often so it doesn't die on me. Ugh. I didn't even take photos at Surtex, which was awesome. More on that later... Very inspiring and overwhelming. Also the Stationery show and International Furniture Convention were very cool as well. I think one of my favorite things though, was a stop into the John Derian Dry Goods Store. Utter perfection! I wanted to just move right in, and/or just buy everything in the shop. Amazing furniture, textiles, rugs, blankets, scarves, jewelry, bedding, pillows, art... Everything was fabulously curated. If you haven't been, next time you're in NYC, go. And if you have been, am I right?!

So that about sums it up! Well, barely. Although, we were only there for about 5 days. New York truly is an amazing city and I can't wait to go back. Now, less than a month until we leave for Turkey!

No comments :

Post a Comment

I love feedback. Thanks for commenting!

Proudly designed by | mlekoshiPlayground |